Monday, July 30, 2012

Date Night: Not your usual dinner and a movie


It’s the end of a long, exhausting week and I am dreaming of my couch, a glass of red wine and a good book.  Unfortunately, a dream is all it will be on this Friday afternoon.
When I get home, I ignore my cozy couch and drag my body up the stairs and into the shower.  It’s the last thing I want to do but I am determined to embark on a very different date night with my husband. 
We are going to see Feist, who is headlining a Sled Island show at Olympic Plaza.  Normally, this is not something we would choose to do, but I was lucky enough to win tickets.  Also, I remember my commitment to stepping out of my comfort zone and this is definitely a prime opportunity.   Big, noisy crowds tend to make me grumpy and anxious.  By nature, I enjoy quiet, peaceful surroundings with lots of space.  But I am determined, so I ignore my misgivings and get ready.
Showered and dressed, we jump in the car and head for the city. Instead of driving into downtown Calgary and fighting traffic, we decide to take the c-train.  Sitting in close proximity with total strangers is interesting.  As we ride I study the people around me.  From the man with the sun-warn face, ripped jeans and work boots, to the prim-looking woman reading a romance novel.  They are all so different.  I wonder what stories they would have to tell.
When we arrive, we are greeted by a host of sights and smells.  Olympic Plaza is bustling with activity. We walk past dozens of vendors selling an eclectic mix of delicious smelling food and finally settle on one of the cement benches that ring the perimeter of the plaza.  It is exciting to be among hundreds of other people, all of us here for the same reason-- to listen and enjoy.  I find that I am not grumpy or anxious around this group.  The stresses of the week seem to be forgotten or at the very least, set aside.  I soak this in like a sponge and am really glad I made the effort to get out.  This is much better than the couch.
It begins to rain, so we pop up our umbrella and huddle beneath it. We listen to two bands, but the country-bumpkin in me is more entertained by the people around us.  I notice a young couple that looks like they are on their first date. A shoeless young woman doesn’t appear to mind the rain and is completely absorbed in tossing and catching a hula hoop.  Another guy is trying hard to convince a group of females to come to an amazing house party later that evening.  But the most entertaining is a rather short man who reminds me of a cross between Kevin James and Jeremy Piven.  He is holding a can of beer in one hand and, with a huge smile on his face is jumping into the huge puddles of water with as much force and childish glee as he can muster.  Part of me wants to join him.  Twenty years ago, I probably would have.    
Finally, after what seems like an age has passed, Feist appears and we make our way to the stage and slosh through the deepening puddles to get a better view.  I’m fiercely afraid of any kind of public speaking/performing.  Even a small speech or comment at a staff meeting makes me break into a sweat.  So I am always amazed at how effortless performers make it look.  She commands the stage and it is obvious she loves what she is doing.  
After a while, I look at my watch and realize it’s getting late—10:00 p.m.!  A few years ago my night would just have begun.  But my body’s internal clock says otherwise.  My husband agrees and we hop back on the train.
The evening seems to have drawn the weirdos out of the woodwork.  This is an entirely new face of the city and it is both amusing and a little disconcerting.  A man gets on alone and storms up the aisle muttering something to himself, swinging his arms around at invisible demons.  I feel the air move as his hand swats the space just above my head.  He settles in a few rows ahead of us.  I hope that whoever he is talking to doesn’t make him angrier.  A couple of inebriated friends wobble on board and are consoling each other, as drunken people often do after a night of reveling when they are coming down off their high.  There are a lot of “I love you man”, and “you are awesome,” comments being passed back and forth. 
My husband and I share a smile.  We are content to sit in silence, digesting the evening and enjoying each other’s company.
Eventually, we get to our stop, and travel south to our quiet town.  I am still tired, yet I feel refreshed.  It feels like I have splashed cool water on my face after a long hot day.
I want to do something like this again.  But right now, the hour is late and the couch is calling.

No comments:

Post a Comment