Sunday, April 15, 2012

Stepping Out




My alarm shocks me out of a foggy slumber at 5:15 in the morning and I wonder how I am going to make the leap from comatose to fully conscious and running in less than an hour.
I am lying in bed telling myself that it’s only two a.m. and I have plenty of time before my first foray into the world of early morning runs.  (I removed my ancient digital alarm clock last year in an attempt to stop myself from looking at the little red numbers every hour.)  So I opt to use my cell phone instead.  When its alarm starts chirping, I begin an argument with myself as to the validity of my decision to take on what I have viewed for years as an absurd and ridiculous time at which to exercise.  I wonder how the human body can go from complete rest to complete mobility before the sun even peeks over the horizon.  My body at least, doesn’t seem capable.  It would be like turning on the motor of the old AMC Pacer I drove in college on a -30 degree morning and immediately shifting into drive.
I sit on the edge of my bed for a few minutes before trudging to the dresser and climbing into my running gear. On the way down to the kitchen I look at my phone:  5:25.  I have just enough time to have a cup of coffee before stepping out.  If I were a super, ultra marathon-running, protein/carb junkie, I would have probably ditched the coffee and gone with something a little more user friendly.  Unfortunately, this user can handle only one thing upon rising before the sun comes up and that is caffeine.
I sit in a stupor, sipping away and watch as my dog dozes in front of the fire.  Even the dog knows it’s too early for this nonsense.  Finally, I think my body might actually be up for this task and I slip on my jacket and shoes and head out.
It’s one of those rare southern Alberta mornings when the fog has settled and the streets are shining with moisture.  The sight and smell reminds me of the West Coast. I imagine tall sweeping cedars and the crash of waves as they hit the beach.  Suddenly, I am invigorated and actually excited to be out this early.
I realize that I am not the first person to try this.  In fact, I assume that the majority of runners actually do this on a fairly regular basis.  But for me this is completely new.  My running times are usually closer to noon.  I have decided that this is the year to step out of my comfort zone and push myself in uncomfortable directions.  It’s perfect.
I set off into the mist.  I have to adjust my usual route because unlit pathways and slippery surfaces makes for a bad combination.   So I run down evenly lit residential streets.  I’m surprised at how good my body feels.  The pain I thought would come is absent.   
Normally, I plug in my iPod and use songs from Maroon 5, Green Day and a few other tunes to push through the miles. Sometimes, even a little bit of vintage Kenny Rogers keeps my pace up.  But this morning, I decide to ditch the music and am glad I did.  As I run, I become more attuned to my surroundings.  I am witness to a town coming to life. Lights blink on and the comforting smell of pancakes permeates the air. Cars are started and some are already on the road.  I feel a sudden kinship with these strangers. Like we are all on the same team, going to work, living our lives.  I become absorbed in this observance of the human machine as it slowly winds up for another day. 
The miles zip by.  Before I know it I am standing in front of my home.
I have been running down the same streets for many years.  Yet I am pleasantly surprised to find that those same roads are cast in an entirely new and engaging light on a dark, misty morning. Streets on which I have walked, run, biked and driven down countless times look different somehow.  Almost as though each home I pass has transformed and there is something new to look at.   It’s refreshing.
I am inspired by these discoveries and plan on venturing out at this time more often.  Some like to view trying new things as stepping out of their comfort zone.  I guess I did that.  Even if it was more like gingerly sidling over to the edge.
I plan on trying many new things this year.  Writing this blog is one of them.  I am encouraged by this first step and can’t wait to take many more.



1 comment:

  1. I'm so excited to read all about your adventures! Great first post.

    ReplyDelete